Have you ever heard the duck metaphor? They look so calm and serene gliding along in the water, but their legs are paddling furiously underneath to stay afloat. The idea is that it takes a lot of hustle to be successful, even if to the average bystander it looks effortless.
But this duck metaphor is actually completely incorrect. Ducks stay afloat thanks to how their body has evolved with hollow bones and air sacs within their bodies, as well as the oil they produce and spread on their feathers for waterproofing. They paddle when it’s necessary in strong currents, but the reason they are successful is due to a design honed over millions of years and their individual preparation.
Even though we don’t have millions of years of investment “evolution” to rely on (the New York Stock Exchange has only been around since 1817), at Halpern Financial, we try to be like the duck.
We focus on what has been proven to work over long periods of time.
- Low investment costs keep more in your pocket to compound and grow.
- Guiding our clients to follow a long-term financial plan
- Acting as a fiduciary (in our client’s best interest). Not only is it just the right thing to do, it helps our clients achieve their goals and trust Halpern Financial for their long term needs.
- Our fee-only structure puts advisor and client on the same side of the table, and complete transparency about our fee structure erases any possible doubt about our interests—you!
We take steps to be prepared for what tomorrow might bring.
- No one can predict the future, but we do know how to be prepared for uncertainty. Diversification provides peace of mind that financial success does not depend on any one particular investment—or being able to predict the future.
- Looking to the future allows us to be proactive, rather than reactive to market trends. No one can predict short-term movements, but if we can prepare for certain things, we will. Our regular research and due diligence informs our investment strategy and we have the flexibility to adjust portfolio holdings as needed.
We can also react and “paddle” like mad if the situation requires it.
- Every quarter, the Investment Research team sits down and sifts through the performance of every investment position. They individually call fund managers for any discrepancies they find, and if the answer is not satisfactory, they may replace the fund.
- During market turbulence, we proactively reach out to explain the situation and its potential impact.
- We are available anytime to help our clients sort through financial problems or take advantage of an opportunity in the most advantageous way for their overall financial life.
Financial success comes as a by-product of a well-designed system that is adaptable and proactive to the current environment—not frantically paddling to stay afloat. Financial planning and wealth management is a year-round process. It requires some finesse, design, and preparation to get your financial ducks in a row!
IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE INFORMATION
Please remember that past performance may not be indicative of future results. Different types of investments involve varying degrees of risk, and there can be no assurance that the future performance of any specific investment, investment strategy, or product (including the investments and/or investment strategies recommended or undertaken by Halpern Financial, Inc.), or any non-investment related content, made reference to directly or indirectly in this blog will be profitable, equal any corresponding indicated historical performance level(s), be suitable for your portfolio or individual situation, or prove successful. Due to various factors, including changing market conditions and/or applicable laws, the content may no longer be reflective of current opinions or positions. Moreover, you should not assume that any discussion or information contained in this blog serves as the receipt of, or as a substitute for, personalized investment advice from Halpern Financial, Inc.. To the extent that a reader has any questions regarding the applicability of any specific issue discussed above to his/her individual situation, he/she is encouraged to consult with the professional advisor of his/her choosing. Halpern Financial, Inc. is neither a law firm nor a certified public accounting firm and no portion of the blog content should be construed as legal or accounting advice. A copy of the Halpern Financial, Inc.’s current written disclosure statement discussing our advisory services and fees is available for review upon request.